Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
this is a lighter soup,from cooking light, and i do like to garnish it with baked tortilla strips and crema.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped carrots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- sliced green onion (optional)
- corn tortilla strips (to garnish) (optional) or chips (to garnish) (optional)
- crema (to garnish) (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add celery, minced onion, bell pepper, and carrot. Cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and the next 4 ingredients (through black pepper); sauté 3 minutes.
- Add broth, water, and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Place half of soup in a blender, and process until smooth. Pour into a bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining soup. Garnish with sliced green onions, if desired.
YUMMY!!! I am on a strict cleansing diet and this hit the spot!!! I only pureed half of the soup because I like the texture of whole beans in my soup. Otherwise followed the recipe and it was great! Making a double batch tonight!
Warm, tasty soup! I made this as written, with green onions as garnish. It's not as "acidic" as the black bean soups with tomatoes, but it still has ample spiciness. Bonus for being lowfat and healthy! Woo-Hoo! Thanx for a yummy soup!
I've made this soup several times--my husband and I love it! I like the soup a little chunky, so I don't keep it in the blender for too long. It's also good topped with cilantro. Thanks for sharing!