Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
in newest book. Haven't made yet
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 30 ounces canned black beans, with their liquid
- 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes, with their liquid
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add scallions, celery, garlic, cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper, Cook, stirring occasinally until vegetables soften.
- Add cans of black beans, diced tomatoes, and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Transfer 2 cups of soup to a blender and process until smooth. Return soup to pan and stir to combine.
- Return to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes longer. season with lime juice, and adjust seasonings.
- Serve with hot pepper sauce and sliced scallions on the side (not in ingredients).
Easy and Tasty!!! This is a mainstay of our South Beach Diet lunches.
I made it for lunch for our Phase one week and we both loved it. The lime juice is great. I added a bit of Franks hot sauce to mine but my husband liked it just the way it was. Will certainly make it again
Excellent! One of our family favs. Worth the preparation time. Easy to take to work for lunch.