I made a gift basket using this soup mix. The idea and recipe are adapted from Diane Phillips's book, The Perfect Mix. I put the jar of black beans, jar of spice mixture, and a jar of California Corn Bread Mix, #72132 into a brightly colored basket along with a reggae music CD. Decorated with colorful ribbon. Looked cool and it made a great gift.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the black beans into an airtight glass container.
- 2In a small bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients.
- 3Transfer to a small air tight container.
- 4Include the following directions with the container of beans and spices: Soak the beans in water to cover, overnight in a large soup pot.
- 5Drain the beans and set aside.
- 6In a large soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons oil.
- 7Add in 1 medium chopped onion and 1/2 pound sliced polish sausage; saute over medium-high heat until onion is translucent.
- 8Add in the beans and spice mixture; stir.
- 9Add in 8 cups water; bring to a boil.
- 10Lower heat and simmer, partially covered, for 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- 11Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Soup Mix
Serving Size: 1 (484 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 712.6
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.6 mg
- Sodium 1099.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 129.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 31.2 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 45.0 g