Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I made a gift basket using this soup mix. The idea and recipe are adapted from Diane Phillips's book, The Perfect Mix. I put the jar of black beans, jar of spice mixture, and a jar of California Corn Bread Mix, #72132 into a brightly colored basket along with a reggae music CD. Decorated with colorful ribbon. Looked cool and it made a great gift.
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 4 beef bouillon cubes, crumbled
- Put the black beans into an airtight glass container.
- In a small bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients.
- Transfer to a small air tight container.
- Include the following directions with the container of beans and spices: Soak the beans in water to cover, overnight in a large soup pot.
- Drain the beans and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons oil.
- Add in 1 medium chopped onion and 1/2 pound sliced polish sausage; saute over medium-high heat until onion is translucent.
- Add in the beans and spice mixture; stir.
- Add in 8 cups water; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer, partially covered, for 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.