Recipe by krypto
This is a great recipe for black bean soup--takes a little while to cook, but it's dirt cheap, easy, and makes a whole lot. Tastes pretty good too. From Hillbilly Housewife.
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 -6 carrots, sliced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the beans as recommended on the package.
- Drain the beans and cover them with fresh water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and gently simmer the beans to simmer gently for one hour. Add water as needed to keep them covered.
- Once the beans are tender, add the vegetable oil, chopped vegetables and seasonings. Taste and add salt if you think it needs it.
- Cover the pot and simmer the soup for another 30 minutes, or until the carrots are tender. When everything is tender, it's ready to serve.