1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
We found a good black bean soup recipe here and adapted it to our tastes. You can also use this recipe to make other types of bean soup as well. We hope you'll enjoy it as much as we do. Cooking time doesn't include soaking the beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried black beans, soaked overnight
- 1 ham bone, with meat attached
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 -5 cups water
- 1Sort, rinse and soak beans overnight in water. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- 2Heat the oil in a large, heavy bottom pot over medium heat and fry the onion until limp, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Note: Make sure your pot is big enough to hold the ham bone!
- 3Add the celery, stir well and cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 4Add the garlic & jalapeno and stir well.
- 5Add the dry seasonings and stir well.
- 6Add the beans and stir well to coat.
- 7Add the chicken broth and 2 cups of water. Reserve the rest of the water to add as needed. Stir again and add the ham bone.
- 8Simmer on low heat for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours until beans are tender. Stir often to prevent sticking and add additional water as needed.
- 9After about 1 1/2 hours remove the ham bone and separate the meat from it. Return the meat to the pot.
- 10Do not add additional salt until the soup is done since the ham bone may have lots of salt already.
- 11If desired, can add additional ham for a meatier soup.
- 12Serve with corn bread for a delicious meal.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Soup Extraordinare
Serving Size: 1 (346 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 336.9
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 87.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.1 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 20.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: