Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Wonderfully warm & filling soup. Not sure where it came from, but it's a comforting favourite. You can adjust the spices to your taste. If you used vegetable stock, it would be a vegetarian dish & without the cream, it would be vegan. I have also done this in the crockpot.
- 2 cups dried black beans, washed
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon minced chili or 1 teaspoon hot sauce (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 cups chicken stock (could substitute veggie if you wanted a vegetarian soup)
- sour cream
- chopped parsley or cilantro or chili, for garnish
- 8 dashes sherry wine (one per person) (optional)
- Bring water& beans to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to a simmer& cook till beans are soft, about 1 hour.
- In another saucepan, heat oil,& cook onions until light brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili& salt, cook 4 minutes or so to release fragrance.
- Add black beans, liquid& stock; bring to boil& simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Use blender to puree the soup (I only puree some of the soup, so it remains chunky).
- Ladle into bowls, stir in a small splash of sherry (if desired, it balances well with the bean flavour)& garnish with a dollop of sour cream& some chopped herbs.
I made this last week, it turned out well. I added a few things, a can of chicken and a can of corn as we were having it as our main meal. I also used homemade chicken stock made from a store bought rotiserrie chicken carcass and some veggies.
This was the first time I cooked with black beans. I really enjoyed the soup. I made it exactly as written except I soaked the beans overnight to shorten the cooking time. It didn't really save much time tho'. I pureed about 3/4 of the soup and it had a great texture. I liked the small amount of heat. I like the options at serving time - the sherry, IMO, really makes the dish special. I served with the sour cream and give people the option of extra chili. I'll be making this again. Made for Aussie Forum, Swap #18.
Very easy soup to make I cheated and used 2 cans of Black beans - I wanted the soup for lunch today. Didn't have fresh cilantro but added 2 cubes of frozen - no sour cream. Cut the recipe in half added 5 tbsp of medium sherry Thanks MrsPheonix for posting this recipe Soup was enjoyed by both of us