1/1 Photo of Black Bean Soup
2 hrs 40 mins
Wonderfully warm & filling soup. Not sure where it came from, but it's a comforting favourite. You can adjust the spices to your taste. If you used vegetable stock, it would be a vegetarian dish & without the cream, it would be vegan. I have also done this in the crockpot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups dried black beans, washed
- 8 cups water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon minced chili or 1 teaspoon hot sauce (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 cups chicken stock (could substitute veggie if you wanted a vegetarian soup)
- sour cream
- chopped parsley or cilantro or chili, for garnish
- 8 dashes sherry wine (one per person) (optional)
- 1Bring water& beans to a boil over high heat.
- 2Reduce heat to a simmer& cook till beans are soft, about 1 hour.
- 3In another saucepan, heat oil,& cook onions until light brown, about 15 minutes.
- 4Add garlic, chili& salt, cook 4 minutes or so to release fragrance.
- 5Add black beans, liquid& stock; bring to boil& simmer for about 30 minutes.
- 6Use blender to puree the soup (I only puree some of the soup, so it remains chunky).
- 7Ladle into bowls, stir in a small splash of sherry (if desired, it balances well with the bean flavour)& garnish with a dollop of sour cream& some chopped herbs.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (518 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 310.0
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 5.5 mg
- Sodium 853.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 15.6 g