Recipe by Tracy K
Simple, hearty, and satisfying, this delicious southwestern-style soup goes together in about 40 minutes and uses many pantry staples. For a lighter soup, omit the bacon and saute the veg in a Tbsp. of olive oil.
Top Review by CookbookCarrie
Oooh Yummy! My whole family liked this, even the bean-hater DD. Great flavor, I made mine w/o the bacon and it was really tasty. I removed about 2 cups of the soup and pureed it with my immersion blender then poured it back in. This thickened it up nice and I didn't have to use the cornstarch.
- 3 -4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried chipotle powder (or 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes)
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, diced (remove seeds and membranes for less heat)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with (optional)
- 2 tablespoons water (for thickening) (optional)
- lime wedge (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- cilantro (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon over medium heat till crispy and till the fat has rendered out.
- Remove bacon, set aside.
- Leave about 1 1/2 Tbsp drippings in pan.
- Cook onion, bell pepper, chipotle powder, jalapeno, cumin, and salt in bacon drippings over moderate heat, stirring, until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Add broth, beans, and reserved bacon and simmer, partially covered, 15 minutes.
- Using an immersion (stick) blender, blend soup to desired consistency.
- Thicken with a mixture of cornstarch and water if you desire a thicker soup.
- Serve with lime wedges, sour cream, and cilantro.