Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 min
Spicy soup. Can be vegetarian if replacing chix broth with veg broth. Will definately warm you up.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 32 ounces black beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice
- Combine all ingredients (except rice) in crock pot.
- cook 1 hour.
- Add rice before serving.
Very tasty. I think I resolved the bean issue and my soaked beans finally got cooked; but it was definitely more than an hour. This recipe is worth taking the time to cook the beans first, then adding them to the mix for the hour cook time. It appears to me that all these ingredients make for a flavorful good nutritious meal.
This is a nice and mildly spicy soup that's very easily put together. I followed the directions except for using home made black beans instead of the canned type. It took way longer than one hour to cook in my crock pot (more like 4+ hours) because I didn't want to have "crunchy" vegetables in my soup. ;).