Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is perfect for those bluster days when you want something substantial in your belly after you brush the snow off your boots and thaw your hands and face. Perfect for a January in Buffalo area. This is a vegetarian soup however it can be made meatless by adding in any number of cooked meats (hamburger, stew beef, chicken, ham or turkey. Your choice) Sit down with the fire roaring, crunchy bread and a steaming bowl of soup and you are close to heaven. Copied / adapted from the Buffalo News 7 day meal planner section.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large finely chopped onion
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 (15 ounce) cansblack beans puree
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry (optional)
- chopped tomato (optional)
- cut up cooked meat (optional)
- Take first 4 ingredients and cook in a dutch oven until tender.
- Puree 1 can black beans with 2 c vegetable broth stir into pot.
- Cook 1 minute, then add in tomatoe paste.
- Add in 2nd can black beans unddrained with the spices and stir.
- Bring to boil on highthen reduce heat to simmer.
- This is where you can add in cooked meat if you choose.
- Cover pot partially and simmer10 minute.
- Stir in 1/4 c dry sherry if you choose.
- Ladle into bowls and top with chopped tomatoes, serve with crusty bread and a spinach salad.
Great black bean soup! Loved the addition of tomato paste for a little thickening and a hint of tomato flavor to the soup. I kept it vegetarian, but did use the optional sherry and chopped tomatoes. Thanks for sharing! PAC Spring '11
Good and so much so that I asked my youngest to let's talk a little more about garlicy, beany and sherried soup. She rolled her eyes. I promptly informed her it's hip to be square. Made for A-NZ#59 Recipe Tag.
Wonderful, filling soup. So easy to make. I thought the texture was perfect. I used the optional sherry and tomatoes and added extra garlic. I'm sure meat would be great in this, but it certainly doesn't need any to be great. Thanx for posting!