Recipe by Barb G.
These black beans are delicious. I have made these for years, everyone likes them. I have passed along the recipe to lots of people. I got the recipe out of a PG&E pamphlet (years ago). The recipe is from MUSTARD'S GRILL' in St. Helena CA, the Napa Valley. Prep time does not include soaking the beans.
Top Review by chia
i could swear i reviewed these when i first made them. this is THE recipe for black beans. i reserved half of the beans to serve with rice, and added 4 c of stock to make a soup with the rest. this will permanently replace my old recipe
- 453.59 g black beans
- 1064.65 ml water
- 113.39 g bacon
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalk celery, minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 9.85 ml cumin
- 2.46-4.92 ml cayenne pepper
- 2.46-3.69 ml ground pepper
- 1892.72 ml chicken broth or 1892.72 ml beef broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak beans overnight in the water OR bring to boil then let stand for 1 hour; drain.
- Cook bacon in heavy, large pot over medium heat until golden brown and crisp, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in garlic, celery, carrot, onion, jalapeño and bay leaf.
- Cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, cayenne and pepper.
- Stir until aromatic, about 1 minute.
- Add beans and broth.
- Cook at a slow boil until beans are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- I have used more broth to make it a soup.
- Season with salt.
- Mustard's serves these beans topped with chopped red onions, a dollop of sour cream and chopped chives.