Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I modified, combined, and customized the top 5 black bean soup recipes on this site, because of the major modifications and because it was so good, I thought I'd post here for my reference. Maybe someone else would like this too?
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 5 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, chopped
- 2 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 fresh lime, juice only for garnish
- 709.77-946.36 ml chicken stock
- 3 (1275.72 g) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 425.24 g can diced tomatoes
- 9.85 ml chili powder
- 2.46 ml cayenne
- 2.46 ml cumin
- 2.46 ml mesquite powder (specialty spice purchase)
- 59.16 ml chopped fresh cilantro (to garnish)
- 3 slice smoked bacon (to garnish, thick slices)
- 7 chicken andouille sausages
- Saute Bacon in a soup pot to release fat and crisp bacon. Remove bacon drain on paper towel. Leave in fat if only a Tbl or two. Remove excess grease.
- Saute andouille sausage to release fat and crisp. Remove from pot and drain on paper towel. Remove all but 1 - 2 Tbl grease.
- Sweat (on low saute) all veggies in pot for about 15 minutes.
- Add back in sausage, drained and rinsed black beans, tomatoes, broth and spices.
- Boil, then reduce to simmer about an hour -- till flavors meld.
- Puree part (leave some chunks) of the pot using an immersion blender or a regular blender.
- Mix back in crisped bacon.
- Serve with lime juice, cilantro and a dash of sour cream if you like.
Very good! I skipped the bacon, to reduce the fat and simply sweated the veggies in OO. It was excellent I didn't have the chilis, but had some habeneros in the freezer so used 1/2 in the pot, and removed it after about 30 minutes. Nice heat. Also used chicken andouille which worked well.