Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A recipe from Guilt Free Cooking from Taste of Home. I made it for my boyfriend. The taste is wonderful and it's very filling. Also low-fat and can be done in 20 minutes.
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa (I used medium)
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup cooked long-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (I omitted it)
- In a large saucepan, saute celery, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Heat through.
- Diabetic Exchanges : 1 1/2 meat 1 starch.
Yum. I used black beans I made from Prepared Black Turtle Beans and my homemade salsa. This is a friendly week night recipe, that can be on the table in a hurry. Made for "I've saved all these recipes!" March Diabetic Tag
Delicious stuff! I used uncooked rice: added 1,5 litres of chicken broth to the pot after sauteeing the celery, onion and garlic and simmered for 10 minutes, and then proceeded with the recipe. We divided this into 5 generous servings. Very good: will be added to the lunch rotation! Thank you Boomette!
Definitely tasty & filling, as you say! I had some frozen shredded chicken breast so chopped that up even more & used it! Very easy to make, too, which is a plus! Thanks for sharing this recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]