Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Black beans are sometimes called turtle beans and are especially popular in Latin American cuisine. Substitute a ham bone for the salt pork, if you wish. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Overnight soaking time not included in preparation time.
- 2 cups black beans
- 12 cups water
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork
- 1⁄2 lb beef, cut into pieces (lean)
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 3 small onions, peeled and minced
- 3 cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 eggs, hard-cooked and sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- Wash beans, pick over and soak overnight.
- Drain and add water listed, salt pork, beef, carrot, onion and seasonings.
- Cover and cook slowly for three hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove meat and rub beans through a sieve.
- Place in tureen, add sliced eggs, lemon, cooked meat and sherry.