Recipe by Anastacey
It was a snowy day today and there wasn't mch food in the house but I came up with this version of a black bean soup. The ingredients where what I had on hand, I'm sure that adding more or less of something or other vegetables to suit ones likings would be fine. I did all my spices to taste.
Top Review by jdevale_11743157
Just made this tonight... was looking for a quick hearty dinner. I pureed the soup before serving it with sliced avocados and a dollop of light sour cream. Yum! I also needed to use up a few slices of precooked bacon so I added them, minced when I was cooking the onion/garlic. I used only ground cayenne, not the red pepper flakes and it was spicy enough for me! I used about 2-1/2 cups of chicken broth. Will definitely make again. Thanks for the recipe!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 white onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 chicken bouillon
- 1 (8 ounce) can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans black beans
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Sautee the onion, carrot, and garlic in oil in a large pot until onion is soft.
- Add water and boullion cube, bring to a boil.
- Add corn and chillis and sir.
- Add the tomatoes and the chilli powder at this point. Stir.
- Add the black bean and remaining spices and give a stir. Cover and let simmer 30 minutes.
- For a thicker soup you could add some cornstarch.
- Top with scallions, cheese, avocado -- .