Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This Pre-1940's recipe included in my “Grandma’s Wartime Edition Cookbook”
- 1 pint black beans
- 2 quarts water
- 1 onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons flour
- 1 egg (hard boiled)
- 1 lemon
- Wash and soak beans overnight in 2 quarts water.
- In the morning add onion and simmer until beans are soft.
- Add more water if necessary.
- Rub through a sieve and re-heat.
- Add seasoning and butter and flour rubbed together.
- Just before serving add thin slices lemon and egg.