1/2 Photos of Black Bean Soup
2 hrs 30 mins
Galley Wench's Note:
Another great recipe from Cook's Illustrated. This is a nice compromise between the thin-watery soup and the thick-chunky version. Be sure to offer a garnish or two; they not only add taste, but texture and color to the soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups dried black beans, rinsed and picked over
- 4 ounces ham steaks, trimmed of rind
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 5 cups water
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups onions, chopped fine (2 large onions)
- 1 large carrot, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 medium celery ribs, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 5 -6 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from chipotle chili can)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (1-2 limes)
- 1For the Beans:.
- 2Place bean, ham, bay leaves, water and baking soda in large saucepan with tight-fitting lid.
- 3Bring to boil over medium-high heat; using large spoon, skim scum as it rises to surface.
- 4Stir in salt, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer briskly until beans are tender, 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours (if necessary, add additional cup of water and continue simmering until beans are tender); do not drain beans.
- 5Discard bay leaves.
- 6Remove ham steak (which has taken on a weird black bean color), cut into 1/4 inch cubes and set aside.
- 7For the Soup:.
- 8Heat oil in 8 quart dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking; add onions, carrot, celery and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft and lightly browned, 12-15 minutes.
- 9Reduce heat to medium-low and add garlic and cumin; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- 10Stir in beans, beans cooking liquid, chipotle chili, adobo sauce and chicken broth.
- 11Increase heat to medium-high and bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, to blend flavors, about 30 minutes.
- 12To finish the soup: Ladle 1 1/2 cups beans and 2 cups liquid into food processor or blender; process until smooth, and return to pot.
- 13Stir together cornstarch and water in small bowl until combined, then gradually stir about half of the cornstarch mixture into the soup; bring to boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, to fully thicken.
- 14If soup is still thinner than desired once boiling, stir remaining cornstarch mixture to recombine and gradually stir mixture into soup, return to boil to fully thicken.
- 15Remove from heat and stir in lime juice and reserved ham.
- 16Ladle into bowls and pass garnishes.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (559 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.6
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 6.3 mg
- Sodium 726.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.3 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 20.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: