Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is yummy, and can be made as healthy or unhealthy as you like by using full ingredients, or substituting low fat, low sodium items.
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth (no or low sodium)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans black beans
- 1 cup salsa (or more if you like spicier)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- sour cream (optional)
- shredded cheese (optional)
- Before beginning, drain and rinse two of the cans of black beans and set aside.
- Using a potato masher, mash up the remaining can of beans with the juice.
- Add the salsa and cumin to the mashed beans and set aside.
- In your pot, combine the broth, water and onion, and bring to a boil.
- Simmer till onions are tender.
- Add the rinsed and mashed beans and stir well.
- Simmer at a low heat for half an hour or so.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
This is a fabulous base recipe (reason for four stars - it would have been a bit bland without my additions). I added a few things, but otherwise followed the recipe as written. I subbed rabbit stock for beef (personal preference and it was what I had), added 1/4 t. cayenne, 1-2 t. cilantro, and 3 cloves of minced garlic. I used a good medium salsa, and the result was that this soup had quite a kick! Sour cream toned it down a tad, and I served it over sweet, whole wheat cornbread. The result? Perfection! Or nearly. I'd like to try it with fresh cilantro sometime, and another reviewer suggested lime juice... bet that would be yummier still! Oh, and I did add some cornstarch to it at the end, as I think I put more liquid in than was called for (I didn't really measure). Next time I'd like to throw in some frozen corn too. This one's definitely a keeper, if I'm already planning my next attempt. :)
I thought this recipe was phenomenal, however, I added a few extra things that I think add an awesome punch to this soup. I used 1 can refried beans instead of mashed black beans as per another reviewer, and to that I added key lime juice, fresh cilantro, chili powder and cayenne (We like the spice!), creamed corn and green chiles. To the onion and broth I added minced garlic. I served it with sour cream, shredded monterey jack cheese, fresh cilantro and crispy tortilla strips that I whipped up. It was AMAZING! I think the key lime juice adds a TON of flavor! Thanks for the basis of a great recipe!!!
This was a huge hit with everyone. I added fresh squeezed lime juice (1/2 lime), 1 tsp. cilantro, some frozen corn, and 2 cloves of garlic. Definitely go with medium salsa - hotter if you want some spice.