Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I modified this recipe from one entitled Cajun black bean soup. I added chicken broth and omitted the crushed red pepper. My husband likes to sprinkle crushed red pepper on his serving, though. For a vegetarian recipe, omit the chicken broth--add water if too thick for you.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 30 ounces black beans (2 cans)
- 1 dash black pepper
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, cumin, chili powder and oregano.
- Puree one can of beans and add to pot. Add second can of beans (do not puree) and the chicken broth.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often. Add black pepper, to taste.
- If desired, serve with crushed red pepper or a dollop of sour cream.
This is a fantastic soup! It was so easy to prepare and so full of flavor. There was only three of us and the entire pot was gone. My friend just raved about it and he literally scraped the bottom of the pot to get the last spoonful! I will definitely be making this recipe often, thanks Zee!
Mmmm! Loved the flavor and texture of this soup..... as well as the ease of preperation. I decreased the chili powder for the kids and increased the cumin. I garnished with light sour cream and scallions. Thanx for a great soup!