1/2 Photos of Black Bean Soup
3 hrs 30 mins
My Private Note
pot of ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1After a nice baked ham meal, save the bones (and any small fragments of meat).
- 2Boil in 4 cups water and reduce liquid to 1 cup.
- 3Remove fat, and reserve for bean soup (either freeze, or make soup next day).
- 4Thoroughly rinse dried beans and discard water.
- 5Add water to beans (the 8 cups to 2 cups beans).
- 6Bring to boil, boil gently 2 minutes.
- 7Cover and let sit 1 hour.
- 8Do not discard water, since you have cleaned the beans. There is flavor in the water, and the color is so rich.
- 9Put back on heat and simmer gently.
- 10Sauté onions, shallots, and garlic in olive oil and add to soup.
- 11Deglaze the pan and add to soup.
- 12Add ham bone, broth, and fragments to soup.
- 13Add very dry sherry to soup, and simmer gently, uncovered, until done, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- 14Add extra liquid (water or wine) if soup reduces too much.
- 15Serve with a dollop of sour cream and corn sticks.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (379 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 333.6
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 17.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 11.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: