Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
creamy and satisfying soup
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- Place beans in a large pot, add enough cold water to cover beans by 3 inches.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, and cover and let stand 2 hours.
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over med-high heat.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery, and sauté until tender (about 8 minutes)
- Add tomato paste, cumin and coriander.
- Reduce to medium and cook 10 minutes add wine and simmer 5 minutes
- Add drained beans and broth.
- Cover and simmer until beans are tender (about 2 hours) – season soup with salt and pepper.