1/4 Photos of Black Bean Soup
1 hr 50 mins
John DOH's Note:
I was introduced to this recipe by my SiL, in Calgary, and commented that it really rocked. Keeps well in fridge or freezer, nukes well in the microwave for work lunch, and is pretty solid for "healthiness in eating".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 carrots, skinned and chopped diagonally
- 2 stalks celery, chopped diagonally
- 1 sweet pepper, chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes (or 8 fresh, steamed peeled and chopped)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans black beans
- 8 hot Italian sausages, peeled (about two pounds)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme, leaves removed
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 1 1/2 liters vegetable broth (I highly recommend the sodium reduced stuff!)
- 1 large vidalia onion, diced finely
- 1Heat olive oil in a pot.
- 2Add onions, garlic and skinned sliced sausages; sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- 3Add carrots and celery, sauté 5 minutes.
- 4Add peppers and tomatoes, sauté 5 minutes.
- 5Add salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaf, sauté 5 minutes.
- 6Drain and puree one can of black beans, add other can with juice, and sauté 5 minutes.
- 7Add vegetable broth.
- 8Lower temperature and simmer for at least one hour, stirring occasionally.
- 9Tastes the better for longer cooking. Remove the bay leaf and thyme sprig on completion.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 319.2
- Calories from Fat 198
- Total Fat 22.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 45.8 mg
- Sodium 594.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 13.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: