Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A fiesta of flavors serve with tortilla chips or corn bread for a filling meal.
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, undrained, divided
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 (16 ounce) jar chunky salsa
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup plain yogurt (optional)
- fresh cilantro leaves
- PLACE 1 can of beans with liquid and broth in blender or food processor; cover. Blend until smooth. Coat large saucepan with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- ADD blended bean mixture, remaining beans and liquid, salsa, lime juice, cumin and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 25 to 30 minutes. Serve topped with yogurt. Garnish with cilantro.
We liked this but it seemed more like a vegetarian chili. I think the salsa was overpowering. I would like to try it with less salsa and less chicken broth as I was hoping for a bit thicker soup.
LOVED this!! I used Copycat Pace Picante Sauce for the salsa, and otherwise followed the recipe to a tee...in the end, though, I threw everything into my crockpot. It has been cooking on low for about 30 minutes, and I just sampled it. Fantastic! To everyone out there looking for an amazing black bean soup recipe, you need not look any further!!
Our whole family loved this! I used medium Pace picante sauce and doubled the red chili flakes. It was so spicy! but good with greek yogurt stirred in.