Recipe by LMillerRN
A fiesta of flavors serve with tortilla chips or corn bread for a filling meal.
Top Review by missystry
Easily a 5 star either as written or with my following additions: I added about 1 cup frozen corn, 1 can mild green chili peppers, and, added about half again the amount of onion and garlic. When serving, I top with a sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, thinly sliced green onions or minced yellow onion, crushed tortilla chips, a generous squeeze of fresh lime juice and fresh cilantro roughly chopped. (In that order.) We like to use buttered corn tortillas for scooping up the juices. It should be noted that this soup is every bit as good....if not better....the next day when the flavors have had a chance to meld. Of course only top when ready to serve.
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, undrained, divided
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 (16 ounce) jar chunky salsa
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup plain yogurt (optional)
- fresh cilantro leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- PLACE 1 can of beans with liquid and broth in blender or food processor; cover. Blend until smooth. Coat large saucepan with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- ADD blended bean mixture, remaining beans and liquid, salsa, lime juice, cumin and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 25 to 30 minutes. Serve topped with yogurt. Garnish with cilantro.