Recipe by sunshinekb17
My good friend Connie (she says this is classic Cuban Frijoles Negro soup) made this great dish for her family. I likes it thicker so I added the 3rd can of blended beans and occasionally the heavy cream to make it thicker still. We serve it over rice without the garnish, but if we have company, I love to make it look prettyï¿½Enjoy!!
Top Review by Heather U.
sunshinekb17, this black bean soup is excellent! It's great over rice and very filling. I went with the optional ingredients (used light cream and cilantro rather than parsley). Great flavors even though it's quite simple to make. I tossed in a chopped bell pepper and some celery which I sauteed in the olive oil before adding the rest of the ingredients. Used chicken broth instead of water. I wasn't sure whether you meant fresh or dried oregano-- went with fresh since I had in on hand, and about 1 Tbsp was a good amount. This is going to be great for lunches this week. Thanks for posting!
- 3 (14 ounce) cans black beans
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 4 -6 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup scallion, chopped fine (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 3 -4 cups cooked white rice (optional) or 3 -4 cups cooked brown rice (optional)
- 4 -6 pinches parsley (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients except vinegar and 1 can of black beans stir well and begin cooking over med-low heat.
- Take the put 3rd can of beans and put in a blender or a cup and use a stick mixer to blend them thoroughly; add them to the soup; stir well.
- ***If you want a creamier thicker soup add the ½ cup of heavy cream at this time.
- After soup comes to a boil add the dash of vinegar. Reduce heat and cook stirring regularly for 10 minutes.
- Serve with optional dopple of sour cream & chopped scallions in the center of each serving.
- You can also use a pinch of parsley if you donï¿½t have/like scallions on top of the sour cream for a little color. You can also serve soup over cooked rice.