Recipe by Bec
This soup is very thick. The yogurt and green onion garnish provides a colorful contrast. From "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious Heart Healthy Recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program, 1988.
- 1 lb dried black beans or 1 lb navy beans or 1 lb red beans
- 8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 green onions, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse beans and place in Dutch oven or large saucepan with water.
- Cover and let stand overnight (Or heat to boiling and boil 2 minutes; cover and let stand 1 hour).
- In small skillet, heat oil.
- Add onion and carrots; saute until crisp-tender.
- Stir into beans with salt and nutmeg.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are very tender- Stir occasionally.
- Spoon 2 cups of mean mixture into food processor or blender.
- Process or blend until finely chopped and almost smooth.
- Pour into large bowl and repeat with remaining beans.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- To serve, spoon steaming soup into soup bowls and top each serving with 1 tablespoon yogurt and sliced green onions.