Recipe by MelinOhio
My husband loves this and I like the spicy flavor. You may want to add less serrano chili peppers if you don't want that firery feeling. You can use 1 can of chopped green chiles instead of peppers and it will not be as hot.
Top Review by beckas
Wonderful comfort food. I did not use the serrano peppers because I have a little one. Instead I added canned sliced jalepeno peppers to the bowls of whoever wanted it. Halfway through cooking I added a couple of chopped chicken sausages, about a teaspoon of cumin, and a teaspoon of oregano. I also used four garlic cloves instead of one because we love garlic. Delicious!
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 small ham hocks
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped green peppers
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 6 serrano chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- lemon, slices-optional
Directions See How It's Made
- Sort and wash beans; place in a large dutch oven Cover with water 2 inches above beans; let soak at least 8 hours.
- Drain Well.
- Add chicken broth, 2 cups water, ham hocks, salt pork, and bay leaf to beans; bring mixture to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove ham hocks and salt pork. Discard bone and fat; return ham to soup mixture.
- Add onion and remaining ingredients, except lemon slices.
- Cover and simmer 2 hours. Remove bay leaf. Partially mash beans with a potato mashers, Garnish each bowl of soup with lemon slices, if desired.
- Can use 1 can chopped green chiles instead of serrano peppers and it will not be as hot.