Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 hrs
Started making this soup from a recipe off the back of a black bean soup mix by Barzi. Have added items and perfected it to our family's taste over the years. I've been told that it's the best they've ever tasted.
- 2 (12 ounce) packagesof barzi island black bean soup mix
- 12 teaspoons beef bouillon, dissolved in
- 12 cups of very hot water
- seasoning (packets from inside Barzi soup package)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 green pepper, seeded,quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons pressed or chopped garlic
- 1 cup carrot (finely chopped)
- 1 (10 ounce) canof rotel original diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1 -2 tablespoon ground cumin (we love cumin)
- 1 (16 ounce) package smoked sausage (sliced and cut in half)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup cooking sherry, to taste
- shredded cheddar cheese or sour cream, to garnish
- Youll need a large soup pot, a large skillet, and a blender.
- Follow instructions on Barzi package for sorting, rinsing, and soaking beans in the large soup pot.
- After boiling beans and letting soak for an hour or more, drain soaking water.
- Dissolve beef boullion in 12 cups of very hot water and add to beans in a large pot.
- Add Barzi seasoning packets, bay leaf, green pepper, and bring beans and boullion to a low boil.
- While soup is beginning to boil: in a large skillet, over medium heat, sauté garlic, onion, and carrots in olive oil for about 10 minutes.
- Add to soup.
- Add a can of Rotel and let soup simmer (stirring occasionally) for about 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, turn off heat and let pot of soup cool for 30 minutes.
- While soup is cooling: in large skillet, over medium heat, sauté smoked sausage in 2 tablespoons olive oil until sausage is lightly browned.
- When soup has cooled, remove bay leaf and green pepper from the soup.
- Then strain about two-thirds of the beans and put into a blender (add a ½ cup of the broth).
- (I fill the blender about ¾ full with beans).
- Blend beans until smooth.
- Return beans to the soup pot.
- Rinse blender with about a cup of water and pour back into the soup.
- Now add the sausage and cumin to the soup, simmer for about another 45 minutes to an hour (depending on the thickness you like).
- Now taste the soup, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- It is best not to add salt or pepper before now because the sausage is salty and it will to make the soup a bit saltier after its added.
- Add one to two cups of cooking sherry, let simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream on the top or sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Excellent with corn bread or biscuits.