Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 21 mins
A heart and tummy warming bowl of chili.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless sirloin, trimmed of fat and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup seeded and chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (2 ounce) envelopes tomato beef soup mix (Knorr)
- 5 cups water
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped red onion
- pickled jalapeno pepper
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Dry the sirloin with paper towels; sprinkle sirloin with salt and pepepr.
- Add the beef to the soup pot a few pieces at a time, browning meat evenly and removing pieces to a bowl when they are brown.
- Add in the onion, garlic, and jalapenos; stir/saute for about 3 minutes or until begin to soften.
- Add in the chili powder, cayenne, and cumin; stir/saute for 2-3 minutes (stir briskly to make sure spices don't burn).
- Return the beef to the soup pot; add in the soup mix and water, stirring to loosen any browned bits that may have stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium-low, and simmer, uncovered, for about an hour or until the beef is tender--stir occasionally.
- Taste the chili and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the beans; simmer 15 minutes.
- Serve chili in individual bowl with desired toppings.