Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I'm a fiend for black bean sauce so had to try this (tweaked slightly) when I saw it at the Uwajimaya website. Preparation time doesn't include time to cook rice (could also be served over noodles). I'm sure pork could substitute admirably for chicken.
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 lb chicken, diced
- 3 cups assorted fresh vegetables, such as asparagus, Asian eggplant, green beans, onions, zucchini, sliced
- 2 tablespoons black bean sauce
- Combine cornstarch and sugar with 1/2 cup water.
- Stir-fry chicken in oil over medium-high heat until done.
- Add vegetables and black bean sauce; stir fry for 1/2 minute.
- Add cornstarch mixture to the chicken-vegetable mix.
- Bring to a full boil and continue to cook, stirring, until vegetables are tender and sauce is thick.
- Serve pver steamed rice.
I, too found this to be a bit bland. Flavour was OK, but if I didn't know there was black bean sauce included, I wouldn't have noticed that flavour in the recipe.
This is, indeed, quick and easy. However, we found it a bit bland. Don't know whether there wasn't enough black bean sauce. Perhaps the addition of a little ginger would help.
I love a quick to prepare tasty recipe. This is definitely one I will use again. I liked the flexibility here. I used carrots, celery, red & green peppers, and onions for my vegetables. I added 2 cloves of garlic, 1 t. freshly grated ginger, and 1 jalapeno when the chicken had browned and followed the rest of the recipe. I am hooked on the Spicy Chicken in Black Bean Sauce at our Chinese restaurant and got very close by using your recipe and my additions. Thank you for sharing your recipe!!!