Recipe by SashasMommy
From Anne Marshall Van Meter: About a million years ago, I lived in Roxborough and worked in South Philly. On the way home I would sometimes stop at the Manayunk Farmer's market (no longer extant. I think it's a Restoration Hardware), but especially at a stand called "Hel's Kitchen". Helen was almost always there and I frequently loaded up on a salad like this. It varies according to what I have in the fridge and garden. This version is meatless.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (my sister gave me chili lime oil, yum)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup leftover corn, sliced off the cob
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup diced papaya
- 1 diced avocado
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir after each addition, be gentle with the papaya and avocado.
- If you make it early in the day and put it in the fridge, it will be cool and yummy at dinner time. We eat it with crumbled tortilla chips for crunch. Last night we had corn on the cob with it as well.
- It really should have chopped cilantro or at least parsley, but I was not going back to the grocery store.