Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
This was adapted from a recipe on drfuhrman.com. I simplified the instructions to make it easier to prepare…..For each can of low sodium broth, I substitute 2 cups water, 1 tablespoon VegiZest (from drfuhrman.com) and 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)......You can reduce prep time by using frozen pre-chopped vegetables and jarred garlic.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 425.24 g can diced tomatoes
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 9.85 ml chili powder
- 9.85 ml dried cilantro
- 0.59 ml crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 (850.48 g) can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 59.14 ml quinoa, rinsed
- 3 (1275.72 g) can low sodium vegetable broth
- 141.74 g frozen chopped spinach (I use cut leaf)
- 14.79 ml lime juice (to taste) (optional)
- Chop onion, bell pepper, garlic and carrot and put in large soup pot (at least 6 quarts).
- Add diced tomato, cumin, chili powder, cilantro, red pepper flakes and beans to soup pot.
- Add quinoa and broth to soup pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add spinach and lime juice and cook until spinach is thawed, stirring occasionally.
Delish! Very hearty and tasty. At 52 calories a cup or so, you can't beat it. Thanks