Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
This was adapted from a recipe on drfuhrman.com. I simplified the instructions to make it easier to prepare…..For each can of low sodium broth, I substitute 2 cups water, 1 tablespoon VegiZest (from drfuhrman.com) and 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)......You can reduce prep time by using frozen pre-chopped vegetables and jarred garlic.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried cilantro
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 3 (15 ounce) cans low sodium vegetable broth
- 5 ounces frozen chopped spinach (I use cut leaf)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (to taste) (optional)
- Chop onion, bell pepper, garlic and carrot and put in large soup pot (at least 6 quarts).
- Add diced tomato, cumin, chili powder, cilantro, red pepper flakes and beans to soup pot.
- Add quinoa and broth to soup pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add spinach and lime juice and cook until spinach is thawed, stirring occasionally.
Very good and healthy soup! The only change that I made was adding 2 or 3 more carrots, giving it a bit more color. Very tasty and even better on day two!
Delish! Very hearty and tasty. At 52 calories a cup or so, you can't beat it. Thanks