1/2 Photos of Black Bean Pumpkin Soup
1 hr 5 mins
I like to serve this hearty soup in October and November, perfect for a fall meal. This recipe came from Gourmet magazine and makes a meaty, spicy and smoky soup, thickened by pureed black beans. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black beans (about 4 1/2 cups, rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup drained canned tomato, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup minced shallot
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/4 cup)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 16 ounces can pumpkin puree (abouit 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 lb cooked ham, cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 3 -4 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1In a food processor coarsely puree beans and tomatoes.
- 2In a 6-quart heavy kettle, cook onion, shallots, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper in butter over moderate heat, stirring until onion is softened and beginning to brown. Stir in bean puree. Stir in broth, pumpkin puree and sherry until combined. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- 3Just before serving, add ham and vinegar. Simmer soup, stirring, until completely heated through. Season soup with salt and pepper.
- 4Serve soup garnished with sour cream, if desired.
Browse Our Top Seasonal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Pumpkin Soup
Serving Size: 1 (3318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.3
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 42.2 mg
- Sodium 642.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 20.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sherry wine vinegar