1/2 Photos of Black Bean Pumpkin Soup
This is a delicious soup from Larry's Market, a gourmet grocery store in the Seattle area. It's a perfect first-course soup for company.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 46 1/2 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup tomato, canned, drained and chopped
- 1 1/4 cups onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup shallot, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 cups beef broth
- 16 ounces pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 lb cooked ham, 1/8-inch dice
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar (or more)
- sour cream, garnish
- pumpkin seeds, roasted, coarsely chopped
- 1In a food processor coarsely puree beans and tomatoes.
- 2In a 6-quart heavy kettle cook onion, shallot, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper in butter over moderate heat, stirring, until onion is softened and beginning to brown.
- 3Stir in bean puree.
- 4Stir in broth, pumpkin, and sherry until combined and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes, or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- 5Just before serving, add ham and vinegar and simmer soup, stirring, until heated through.
- 6Season soup with salt and pepper.
- 7Serve soup garnished with sour cream and toasted pumpkin seeds.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Pumpkin Soup
Serving Size: 1 (815 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 698.8
- Calories from Fat 217
- Total Fat 24.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 83.7 mg
- Sodium 1526.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 23.0 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 42.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sherry wine vinegar