3 hrs 30 mins
After trying many recipes for Frijoles Negros, we've decided that this is by far our favorite! It's more time-consuming than some other recipes, but well worth the effort. Prep time does not include time to soak the beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces dried black beans
- 8 cups water
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 sweet peppers, seeded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon whole dried oregano, crushed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dry wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped (garnish)
- 1Pick over beans, discarding any shriveled ones or foreign particles.
- 2Wash well and soak overnight in water, covering generously.
- 3Drain beans, rinse in fresh ater and drain again.
- 4Place in a large pot 8 cups water.
- 5Bring to a rapid boil, reduce heat to moderate, cover, and cook for 45 minutes.
- 6In a skillet, heat 2/3 cup olive oil and saute garlic, 2 onions and chili peppers for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7Add to skillet 1 cup of the boiled beans and mash thoroughly to blend with rest or ingredients in the skillet.
- 8Add this mixture to the pot of beans.
- 9Add the salt, pepper, oregano, sugar, bay leaves and cumin.
- 10Cover and boil for 1 hour on moderate heat.
- 11Add wine and vinegar.
- 12Cover and cook over low heat for 1 hour.
- 13Uncover and cook until sauce thickens to taste.
- 14Serve in individual bowls, garnishing with 1/2 cup chopped onions.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Pottage
Serving Size: 1 (466 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 424.8
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 303.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.0 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 13.7 g