Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Serve this hearty dish with a dollop of cilantro laden sour cream, some Spanish rice, and a mixed green salad. The ingredients for this recipe make a very small 7 inch pie. If you are using a normal sized pan, you might want to increase the amount of black beans to 2 cans, and adjust only the seasonings accordingly. The chopped onion and peppers can remain the same.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1⁄3 cup salsa
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 unbaked 9-inch pie shells
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add oil and saute onion, green pepper until tender.
- Add beans, salsa, red pepper, chili powder, cayenne and salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Spoon half of the mixture into one of the pie crusts lining a pie plate.
- Cover with half of the cheese.
- Spoon remaining bean mix on top and then the rest of the cheese.
- Cover with second pie crust.
- Bake for 1 hour.
My husband was out when I was preparing this, and returned to see me pulling a 'pie' out of the oven. He anxiously asked me what kind it was and then paled when I said it was Black Bean. However, his expression changed considerably when he tasted it. This is a definate keeper. The flavors are great. It is like bean enchilladas in a pie crust. After starting this recipes, I realized that I didn't have any bottled salsa. I substituted some canned diced tomatoes with green chilies and upped the amount of the other spices a little. I am anxious to try it with salsa.
This was quick and easy to prepare. The only thing I did different was I criss-crossed the top crust rather than use the whole thing. Just a personal preference. This made a delicious entree. I served a pineapple/mandarin orange salad and corn muffins with it. Geema, I thank you for sharing this recipe. It has been added to my permanent recipe collection!
I really enjoyed this recipe. Instead of adding the shredded cheese between layers I made a mixture of half sour cream and half salsa. This gave the pie a bit more moisture. I'll make this one again for sure.