Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Crispy outside, creamy inside, good with grilled chicken or fish, or as a meatless entree. From Sheryl and Mel London's "The Elegant Bean". Vegetarian or vegan if you use sour cream alternative. Add more green chile to taste.
- 2 c.cooked black beans
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons finely minced red onions
- 1⁄2 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 roasted jalapeno chile, finely minced (about 1 tsp.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- salt, pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal or 3 tablespoons masa harina
- corn oil (for frying)
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons finely diced red peppers
- cilantro (to garnish)
- Process the beans in a food processor bowl for a few pulses, until coarsely chopped. Scrape beans into a large mixing bowl and add all ingredients up to and including the salt and pepper. Combine well and divide into six equal parts. Shape each part into an oval cake and dip in cornmeal (spread the cornmeal on some waxed paper) to lightly coat both sides of each cake.
- Heat a little oil on medium-high in a large, heavy skillet, preferably cast iron. When the oil is hot, carefully slide the bean cakes into the pan and fry for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper and transfer to a warm serving dish. Top each cake with 1 teaspoons sour cream, some of the red pepper, and a few cilantro leaves.