Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
An unusual version of lasagna but, tasty. Low in fat.
- 9 lasagna noodles (8 ounces)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans low-sodium tomato sauce or 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce, with seasonings
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 1 (12 ounce) container low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
- 1⁄4 cup light sour cream
- tomatoes, slices (optional)
- fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Mash one can of the beans; set aside.
- Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray; add onion, green sweet pepper, and garlic. Cook and stir over medium heat until tender but not brown. Add mashed beans, unmashed beans, tomato sauce, and snipped cilantro; heat through.
- In a large bowl combine cottage cheese, cream cheese, and sour cream; set aside. Spray a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with nonstick coating. Arrange three of the noodles in the dish. Top with one-third of the bean mixture. Spread with one-third of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice, ending with bean mixture. Reserve the remaining cheese mixture.
- Bake, covered, in a 350°F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until heated through. Dollop with reserved cheese mixture. Let stand for 10 minutes. Garnish with tomato slices and cilantro, if desired. Makes 8 servings.
- Make-Ahead Tip: Refrigerate unbaked casserole, covered, up to 1 day, and bake as directed. Or, freeze up to 1 month; thaw frozen casserole in refrigerator overnight, and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until heated through.