Recipe by Barb G.
This Lasagna is a good Vegetarian dish. It can be made ahead up to 1 day and baked as directed or , freeze up to 1 month; thaw frozen casserole in fefrigerator overnight, and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until heated through. The recipe comes from Better Homes & Gardens.com.
Top Review by Paris D
This was absolutely delicious - best lasagna I've ever had. We did make some changes:
-We cooked some dried black beans and used those in lieu of using canned beans.
-We used a can diced tomatoes instead of using tomato sauce.
-We also added a chopped fresh tomato.
-We added a chopped jalapeno pepper.
-All dairy products were reduced fat.
-We added 2 cups of shredded, reduced-fat mozzarella.
-Lastly, we added around 1 teaspoon dried thyme.
Next time we make this, we will double the amount of cilantro it calls for.
Thanks for posting!
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce (ROTEL-Diced tomatoes with green chilies works great) or 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce, with seasoning (ROTEL-Diced tomatoes with green chilies works great)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh snipped cilantro
- 1 (12 ounce) container low fat cottage cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup light sour cream
- sliced tomatoes (optional)
- fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
- Mash one can of the beans and set aside; Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray; add onions, green sweet pepper, and garlic; Cook and stir over medium heat until tender but not brown, add the mashed beans,unmashed beans, tomato sauce, and snipped cilantro; heat through.
- In a large bowl combine cottage cheese, cream cheese, and sour cream;set aside.
- Spray a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with nonstick coating; arrange 3 of the noodles in the dish; Top with one-third of the bean mixture, then spread one-third of the cheese mixture,repeat layers twice, ending with bean mixture;RESERVE the remaining cheese mixture.
- Bake, covered, in a 350 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until heated through; DOLLOP with reserved cheese mixture, Let stand 10 minutes, Garnish with tomatoes slices and cilantro if desired.