This is one of my favourite soups-as-a-meal dish. It is very hearty and is a good comfort food on a cold day. This recipe is a great way to use Italian Sweet Sausage (hot sausage would be good too). Eden black soy beans can be used for the carb conscious--skip the optional rice or pasta addition.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped in medium sized pieces
- 4 Italian sausages, removed from casings, broken up
- 2 small yellow peppers or 2 small orange peppers, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock (I used 900ml container-low salt)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans black beans or 2 (14 ounce) cans black soybeans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt, pepper, pepper flakes
- left over rice (*optional-see note below) or pasta (*optional-see note below)
- 1In a large soup pot on medium heat, fry the bacon bits to get some fat to coat the bottom of the pan.
- 2Add the garlic powder, chopped onion, chopped peppers, and Italian sausage broken up into chunks. Fry on medium heat until the sausage is no longer pink.
- 3Add the chicken stock, 1/2 tsp of cumin and one can of black beans. Simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- 4Use an immersion blender to blend some of the soup so that there are still lots of unblended chunks--about 10-15 seconds on high.
- 5Add the other can of drained, rinsed beans and 1/2 tsp of cumin.
- 6Season with salt, pepper and/or pepper flakes if you like it spicy.
- 7Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- 8*Serve with a dollop of sour cream if desired. I also serve it over a couple of tablespoons of leftover rice or pasta in each bowl to make it a hearty meal.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean & Italian Sausage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (370 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 453.2
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 44.0 mg
- Sodium 994.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 25.3 g