Recipe by Alskann
I love black beans. I love hummus. So when I saw this recipe I just had to try it. I wasn't dissappointed. A delicious Middle Eastern dip for crudites and pickled vegetables. It also makes a great spread in pita sandwiches such as Chicken Shawarma Recipe. This one was different from any I could find on Zaar so I decided to post it also.
Top Review by White Rose Child
This is a great hummus variation and has a cool purple hue!! Hey, who wouldn't love purple hummus? But like the last reviewer, I found it needed a lot more citrus juice. I used about 2 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice and 1 1/2 Tbsp lime juice. Extra cumin and just 1/8 tsp cayenne for me, as well. I sauteed the garlic briefly with rosemary to mellow the flavor, instead of roasting it. This is a keeper!
- 2 cups cooked black beans, drained well
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans, drained well
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic (see directions below)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons tahini (I make my own, see Heavenly Hummus)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
For roasting garlic you will also need
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (or 1/4 teaspoon dried) or 1 sprig oregano (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
Directions See How It's Made
- Puree the ingredients in a food processor and chill.
- Serve as a dip with assorted fresh vegetables, pickled vegetables, Armenian cracker bread, or other crackers.
- Time to make includes roasting the garlic (see below).
- To Roast garlic:.
- Peel outer skin layer from head of fresh garlic, leaving cloves and head intact.
- With a sharp knife cut off the top of the head of gaarlic, about 1/4 inch.
- Place head on aluminum foil; top with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and a sprig of fresh rosemary or oregano [or 1/4 teaspoon dried. Fold up and seal.
- Bake in a400 degree oven for 55-60 minutes.
- Squeeze cloves from skins and set aside. Discard skins.