2 hrs 45 mins
Canned white or yellow hominy adds wonderful corn flavor and color. This is even better is it's allowed to sit for a day and get rewarmed. *Serve this chili as "Chili Burritos" by wrapping in tortillas with green onions, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, cilantro, sour cream and salsa for a great 2nd meal!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large yellow onions, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree (diced ok too)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can hominy, drained (white or yellow)
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon cornmeal (for thickening optional)
- 1Pick over the beans for any debris. Rinse the beans and set aside.
- 2In a 4 qt or larger heavy saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil and saute the garlic and onion until they are softened but not brown, 5 - 10 minutes.
- 3Add the chili powder, pepper flakes, sugar, thyme, cumin, oregano, and coriander. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- 4Add the beans, tomatoes (including the juice or puree), vegetable broth, water and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours or until the beans are tender. Add the hominy and pepper.
- 5Taste for salt and add if necessary. Thicken, if desired by adding 1 Tbs cornmeal at a time and simmering for 5 minutes after each addition.
- 6Can keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Hominy Chili
Serving Size: 1 (557 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 742.3
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 570.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 121.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 28.3 g
- Sugars 13.0 g
- Protein 31.8 g