Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
from the CIAs Breakfast and Brunches.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced onion
- 3⁄4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano, crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled queso blanco or 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup masa harina
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- egg wash
- 3 cups oil (for frying)
- kosher salt, as needed for garnish
- To make filling:.
- Heat olive oil in a medium saute pan over med-hi heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until tender, stirring frequently to prevent garlic from burning.
- Stir in the cumin and oregano and cook for 30 more seconds. Add the beans and salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly. Place beans in a blender and puree. If they are too stiff, add the water as needed to make a smooth puree.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix in the cheese.
- The filling can be prepared ahead and stored in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- To make dough:.
- Combine the flour, masa harina, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Toss to mix. Add oil and stir with a wooden spoon.
- In a liquid measuring cup, mix together the eggs and water. Add gradually to the flour mixture until it is all incorporated.
- Turn dough out onto a board and knead until it is very pliable - about 3 minutes. Add more flour or water if needed.
- To assemble:.
- Roll the dough out very thinly, about 1/16 inch thickness. Cut using a 3 inch round cutter. You should have 24 circles.
- In a small bowl beat together 1 egg and 1 T. water to make an egg wash.
- Place 2-1/2 teaspoons of filling in the center of each circle. Brush edges with egg wash and fold in half. Seal by pressing together with a fork. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- You may make these ahead and chill, covered, for up to 24 hours or freeze for up to 3 weeks.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or skillet to 350 degrees. Fry until golden brown and crisp about 3-4 minutes. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with kosher salt before serving.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa or guacamole.