Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
QETH .... a quick, easy, tasty and healthy middle eastern dish. NOTE: I agree with reviewers that this salad needs to be kicked-up-a notch, so I've made some revisions as of 7/1/09.
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro
- 2 tablespoons garlic, crushed
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 -2 tomatoes, diced (optional)
- 1 jalapeno, seed and diced (optional)
- 1 cup feta cheese (optional)
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- salt and pepper
- Bring chicken broth to boil in a 2 quart or larger sauce pan and stir in the couscous. Cover the pot and remove from the heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, vinegar and cumin.
- Add green onions, red pepper, cilantro, corn, optional tomatoes and beans; toss to coat.
- Fluff the couscous well, breaking up any chunks.
- Add to the bowl with the vegetables and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle feta cheese on top.
- Serve at once or refrigerate until ready to serve.
I have made this recipe so many times I can't even count. It is so simple, delicious, refreshing, and SO healthy! I usually throw in ingredients that I have on hand, but the original recipe is my absolute favorite. Cilantro, red onions, cumin, corn, black beans.... mmm it is so tasty! Thank you for sharing!
This makes a fantastic side dish! I've also ate it alone for lunch and it's very filling!
I made this exactly as posted, but was a little confused on the amount of black beans, so I ended up using just one 16-oz. can. That seemed to be the right amount. I used tricolor couscous and ended up with a very colorful salad. I also added the tomato, jalapeno and feta. This made a nice lunch, and I'm sure I will be making this again. It would also be a good side dish at your next barbecue. Made for ZWT6.