1/1 Photo of Black Bean, Corn, and Cheddar Fritters
Best served hot and crispy, right out of the pan, these fritters make a lovely light lunch served with a green salad, or a more hearty meal when served with Harvest Mexican Squash Casserole. They can also be a nice appetizer! Serve the fritters with sour cream and/or salsa on the side! I measured the oil after frying, so that the nutritional information would accurately reflect the oil used - you should start with 1/2 cup when frying, though!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 egg yolk (save the white!)
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup corn kernel (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper (1 medium pepper)
- 2 tablespoons diced roasted green chili peppers (canned or fresh)
- 2 egg whites (that includes the one from the egg yolk earlier)
- 1/4 cup canola oil (start frying with 1/2 cup - 1/4 cup is what is absorbed)
- 1Sift together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne in a medium-sized bowl.
- 2Beat the milk with the egg yolk, and add it to the dry ingredients, mixing well.
- 3Stir in the beans, cheese, corn, cilantro, red pepper, and green chilies.
- 4In another bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff. Gently fold them into the batter.
- 5Heat 1/2 cup oil in a 10-inch iron skillet over medium-high heat. (Test the heat by dropping a bit of batter into the oil; it should immediately sizzle and rise to the top.).
- 6Spoon in about 1/4 cup of batter for each fritter, making three or four at a time. Fry until golden brown on one side, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn and fry until golden brown on the other side, and drain on paper towels. Fry the rest of the batter in batches.
- 7Serve immediately with sour cream and salsa on the side.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean, Corn, and Cheddar Fritters
Serving Size: 1 (972 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 124.6
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 20.9 mg
- Sodium 151.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 4.8 g