Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
From The One-Dish Vegetarian by Maria Robbins. I made this for Christmas Eve, and it was enjoyed by the family
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely minced (or pressed)
- 2 large red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno chile, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried ancho chile powder (or regular chili powder)
- 2 tablespoons mild new mexico chile powder (or regular chili powder)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin, toasted
- 4 cups vegetable stock or 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup bulgur (or use textured vegetable protein and add during the last 5-10 minutes of cooking to make it gluten-)
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, grated
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 8 cups cooked black beans or 4 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
- 1 medium red onion, chopped (optional ( for garnish)
- Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring for a few minutes, until the onions have wilted. Add the bell peppers, jalapeno, chili powder, and cumin, and cook, stirring, for 3-5 minutes longer, until the peppers have softened.
- Add the stock or water, bulgur (if using), grated chocolate, tomatoes, and beans. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer gently for 25 minutes. Add the corn (and TVP, if using), stir, and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Serve with chopped red onion for garnish.
Great chili recipe, love the addition of the unsweetened chocolate. I more or less halved the recipe and still got a pretty big pot of chili. Cut the chili powder back as I only had chipotle powder on hand and it's really hot. And ended up using TVP instead of bulgur as suggested. Nice easy dish to prepare and was great topped with some tofutti sour 'cream'.