Prep 48 hrs
Cook 1 hr
- 236.59 ml black beans, dried
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml red onion, diced
- 22.18 ml garlic, minced
- 236.59 ml celery, diced
- 236.59 ml red pepper, diced
- 170.09 g ham steaks, trimmed and diced
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml coriander
- 2.46 ml thyme
- 2.46 ml oregano
- 946.36 ml water
- 3 envelope oxo low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules (makes 2.25 c bouillon)
- 236.59 ml old el peso chunky salsa
- 28.34 g cheddar cheese, shredded
- 118.29 ml low-fat sour cream
- Soak the black beans for several hours or overnight.
- Saute red onion, garlic, celery, and red pepper in olive oil until tender.
- Add ham, cumin, coriander, thyme, and oregano to vegetables and cook for 1 minute.
- Add drained black beans, chicken bouillon powder, water, and salsa and simmer until beans are tender.
- Add more water if necessary.
- Serve immediately or add 1/2 c water and refrigerate overnight, and reheat.
- Makes 4 servings of 1-1/4 cups.
- Garnish with 1/4 oz of cheddar shreds and 2 T of sour cream.
Made the soup as directed except to use crushed tomatoes for salsa because that's what we had, & no ham because we didn't have that either. DELICIOUS and I'll be making again... If only black beans were easier to find in Australia :-(
Fabulous, just fabulous! What else can I say? I subbed roasted red peppers, cilantro for the coriander, homemade stock for the water and bouillon and petite diced tomatoes for the salsa. I let it sit in the fridge for two days and we couldn't get enough of it! I just might make this a weekly meal. Thank you!
YUMMY! This was my NN for PAC Fall 2007 and I loved this chowder. It was even better with the addition of cheddar cheese and sour cream. Easy to do. I cooked it on simmer for 2 hours.