Top Review by MrsSPheonix
Made the soup as directed except to use crushed tomatoes for salsa because that's what we had, & no ham because we didn't have that either. DELICIOUS and I'll be making again... If only black beans were easier to find in Australia :-(
- 1 cup black beans, dried
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- 1 (6 ounce) ham steaks, trimmed and diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 4 cups water
- 3 envelopes oxo low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules (makes 2.25 c bouillon)
- 1 cup old el peso chunky salsa
- 1 ounce cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the black beans for several hours or overnight.
- Saute red onion, garlic, celery, and red pepper in olive oil until tender.
- Add ham, cumin, coriander, thyme, and oregano to vegetables and cook for 1 minute.
- Add drained black beans, chicken bouillon powder, water, and salsa and simmer until beans are tender.
- Add more water if necessary.
- Serve immediately or add 1/2 c water and refrigerate overnight, and reheat.
- Makes 4 servings of 1-1/4 cups.
- Garnish with 1/4 oz of cheddar shreds and 2 T of sour cream.