Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Low in saturated fat and in cholesterol and delicious served over brown rice.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, minced
- In a saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat; fry the onion, garlic, celery, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and black beans; bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring often, until thick enough to mound on a spoon, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the corn; cook until heated through, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the coriander.