Recipe by Kaykwilts
This is a dish my friend Susan served us when we went to eat at her house. She said she got it out of Southern Living but I don't know which issue as this was several years ago.
- 1 (12 ounce) package black beans
- 2 cups onions, chopped and divided
- 12 cloves garlic
- 2 (20 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, chopped & undrained
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- tortilla chips
- grated cheese
- thinly sliced lettuce
- mashed avocado
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large cast-iron pot, cover the black beans with water and bring to a boil.
- Turn off heat; let the beans soak for at least four hours.
- Turn on heat; add 1 1/2 cups onions and 8 cloves garlic; simmer until beans are tender.
- Drain liquid from beans (beans an be cooked in advance and frozen until needed).
- Add tomatoes to beans and cook on low heat.
- Meanwhile, brown ground beef in skillet with remaining onion, green pepper, 4 cloves garlic, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and red pepper.
- Drain off fat and add meat mixture to beans and tomatoes.
- Heat through.
- Serve on individual plates.
- Garnish with accompaniments.